Check today the most popular computer operating systems in 2020, our animated chart will feature the winners!
Top 5 Computer Operating Systems (2009 to 2020)
This study was based on the operating system market share from the last 11 years, featuring Windows, Linux, MacOS and some others, we found the most popular ones over the years. Particulary for Windows we break it down into separate versions to be more specific.
OPERATING SYSTEMS HISTORY
Featured Windows Release Dates
Windows 98: June 25, 1998
Windows 2000: February 17, 2000
Windows Me: September 14, 2000
Windows XP: October 25, 2001
Windows Server 2003: April 24, 2003
Windows Vista: January 30, 2007
Windows 7: October 22, 2009
Windows 8: October 26, 2012
Windows 8.1: October 18, 2013
Windows RT 8.1: October 18, 2013
Windows 10: July 29, 2015
- Extended support for Windows XP ended on April 8, 2014, after which the operating system ceased receiving further support or security updates (with exceptional security updates being made e.g. in 2019, to address potential ransomware threats, like BlueKeep) to most users. By August 2019, Microsoft (and others) had ended support for games on Windows XP.
- In contrast to Windows Vista, Windows 7 was generally praised by critics, who considered the operating system to be a major improvement over its predecessor due to its increased performance, its more intuitive interface (with particular praise devoted to the new taskbar), fewer User Account Control popups, and other improvements made across the platform.
- Windows 7 was a major success for Microsoft; even prior to its official release, pre-order sales for the operating system on the online retailer Amazon.com had surpassed previous records. In just six months, over 100 million copies had been sold worldwide, increasing to over 630 million licenses by July 2012.
- In May 2014, the Government of China banned the internal purchase of Windows 8-based products under government contracts requiring "energy-efficient" devices
- In June 2014, state broadcaster China Central Television (CCTV) broadcast a news story further characterizing Windows 8 as a threat to national security.
- Windows 10 received mostly positive reviews upon its original release. Critics praised Microsoft's decision to provide a desktop-oriented interface in line with previous versions of Windows, contrasting the tablet-oriented approach of Windows 8, although Windows 10's touch-oriented user interface mode was criticized for containing regressions upon the touch-oriented interface of its predecessor.
- The Chinese version of Ubuntu is used for running the world's fastest supercomputer.
- For the bulk of Web servers, Ubuntu is the most used Operating systems.
- If you want to run MacOS, Windows, and Linux apps all on the same machine, it's recommended to run MacOS.
Top operating system 2020: Might not come as a big surprise, but this award goes to Windows 10!!
#Windows #MacOS #Ubuntu
If you like racing chart bars and data visualizations
if you learned something new, please subscribe and turn on notifications, so you don't miss our latest content.
twitter @charts_racing @papabalda
Looking for a side hustle? Check my partner site https://latindigitalmarketing.org